As lovely and even soothing as a lit candle can be, it remains an open flame and is potentially hazardous. It should therefore be used cautiously. In order to enjoy candles responsibly, always follow these simple rules.First step: candle preparing
Trim the wick to 5mm before lighting. A longer wick can cause irregular burning. Avoid any foreign matter (wick trimmings, matches etc) in the wax pool. Use a candleholder adjusted to the candle size. Place the candleholder on a stable and heat-resistant surface. Make sure the room is well ventilated. Keep clear of any air currents (drafts, ceiling fans etc) to prevent uneven burning, dripping, and even sooting. Always be acquainted with the manufacturer’s recommendations, for correct use and burning time.
Second step: candle burning
Never touch or move a burning candle, especially when the wax is hot and liquid. Blow out the candle if it has the following abnormal behaviour: high flame, flickering, uneven burning, sooting, excessive dripping. Let it cool down, follow the previous recommendations, and relight. Avoid burning a candle all the way down. Ideally, stop using it when 50mm of wax remains in the case of a candle and 12mm for a container. Never light a candle on or near anything that could catch fire. Never leave a burning candle unattended. At all times, keep candles out of the reach of children and pets, they can be knocked over and create a fire.
Last step: safe extinguishing
Always use a candle snuffer to blow out a candle. This avoids hot wax dripping and splattering. Never use water to put out a candle. The thermal shock might cause a glass container to break, and the water could also cause hot wax splatter. Always wait for complete extinguishing before touching or moving the candle, and leaving it unattended.